Our youth program is re-imagining Scouting for the 21st century. But what’s changing, and what should we expect when the old meets new?
This new program is being progressively implemented across Australia. As we see, hear and discuss the changes, there’s some important differences to be aware of.
When Old Meets New compares our old ways of doing things with the approach of the new youth program.
This poster has previously been viewed at major events and on the Scouts Australia website. Now you can download it here and put it up in your hall or meeting space!
The poster is available in the Scout Group Support tab, on the Other Resources page.
It would compliment nicely the Elements of the Program Poster, also found under the Scout Group Support tab.
Resources on pr.scouts.com.au/terrain/ are being updated as we start to bring on more users, and new features begin to appear.
You can find them in the User Guides tab of the Scouts | Terrain page.
Newly added resources include:
- How to install Scouts | Terrain to your device
- How to propose an idea in Scouts | Terrain
- How to plan an activity in Scouts | Terrain
- How to navigate the Outdoor Adventure Skills
- How to enter a Special Interest Area project for Scouts, Venturer Scouts and Rover Scouts
- And in the Videos Guides tab, the Guide to the Outdoor Adventure Skills in Scouts | Terrain
The three most recent Scouts | Terrain development updates are now available for download. These were also distributed directly through branch teams and shared on the Scouts Australia Scouts | Terrain User Community Facebook group.
These include the most recent update from Sunday (22 August).
Find these updates under the System Development tab on the Scouts | Terrain page.
We have now made available some initial Scouts | Terrain user guides. You can find guides on:
- How To Import Data
- How To Navigate the Members Table
- How Setup Scout Groups (Units and Patrols)
- Pioneer Tracker Export Instructions
These new guides can be found on the Scouts | Terrain page, under the User Guides tab.
pr.scouts.com.au now features a dedicated page for Scouts | Terrain resources.
This page will grow with resources as documentation, guides, and videos become available.
And don’t forget to join us in the Scouts | Terrain User Community Facebook group, to join in discussions and obtain peer support using this brand new digital programming and record keeping system.
Video recordings of the webinars developed for our early adopters are now available in the dedicated new Scouts | Terrain page.
It is important to note that from feedback and what continues to be developed, Scouts | Terrain has already evolved and will continue to evolve from what can be seen in the videos. This means that the final product will be even better than what you see here!
Another change is the name. You might see “Traverse” on some screens. This was a possible name but it couldn’t be used in the end.
Read more about Scouts | Terrain here.
Finally, get yourself into the Scouts | Terrain User Community Facebook Group to discuss and learn more about Scouts | Terrain!
Scouts Australia & Two Bulls have had some really busy weeks in development recently.
Check out our development update here (Click here!).
Here are some highlights:
- Basecamp has been created. This is an exciting visual representation of the Achievement Pathways which members can interact with.
- We welcomed our Digital Champions & user testers through a training session on the 14th June.
- User Testing has commenced on the 19th June, and will conclude approx. 10th July.
- Programming (being able to create a Unit’s program cycle) has been created. We will be making tweaks to this based on User Testing feedback & our team’s examination.
- Two Bulls announced their partnership with Scouts Australia
- Achievement Pathways content has been feature completed – we are now making tweaks to language, layout and age appropriateness
- We have published a Scouts Australia news page containing exciting info about the system! (Website Link)
We are excited to share a development update – and looking forward to getting this system out there for all Scouting members.
Enjoy this update, and be excited for launch.
Check out the other sprint development updates in the Other Resources section of this site.
We have now published each of the “Sprint Updates” for the new digital system coming online in July. The system has been under development since the end of 2019 and development has comprised of a series of “sprints” to create each of the different areas of functionality. You can read about each Sprint and the work that has been achieved surrounding each Sprint in the Sprint Updates. There are currently 8 Sprints reported on, with 10 planned in total.
Sprint Updates can be found on the Other Resources page, under the New Digital System tab.
You can also read the latest detail about the new digital system on the Scouts Australia website here.
The Programming Overview document has been updated based on recent feedback.
The content has been significantly reviewed and updated to bring it up to date with key messages about good programming using the four Challenge Areas.
It has also been updated with the new branding and to remove the “Pioneers” titles originally featured on this very early resource for the new program.
You can find version 2.0 in the Weekly Program page, under the Programming tab.
Two Microsoft Excel documents have been created to support program planning for Units. One is The Program Planning blank template, and the other is an example of a completed template.
These files are now combined into a single zipped toolkit for download: Program Planning Toolkit (Interim).
(These are interim while we await the development of an online digital system for program planning and the new program).
.zip files can be “unzipped” on Windows and Mac computers without installing extra software.
Go to the Weekly Program section, under the tab Programming, to find the toolkit.